If you’re looking for a dental career, the Army National Guard has a rewarding role for you. As a Dental Specialist, you will help keep the fighters of our freedom healthy by providing oral hygiene treatments and instruction for dental patient care.
You will assist in the examination and treatment of patients by preparing materials and instruments, recording patient vitals, and administering anesthesia.
• Prepare dental operatory, select and arrange instruments, measure and record temperature, blood pressure and pulse, and assist dentist during patient exams
• Assist with placement and removal of sutures
• Prepare restorative and impression materials
Some of the Skills You’ll Learn
• Preventive dentistry
• Dental office procedures
• Radiology (X-ray) techniques
• Dental hygiene procedures
• How to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation and operate resuscitative equipment
• Interest in biology and chemistry
• Enjoy helping others
• Good hand-eye coordination
• Ability to follow spoken instructions and detailed procedures
Through your training, you will develop the skills and experience to enjoy civilian career jobs in dental offices or clinics. With some additional study, you may qualify for certification with either the American Medical Technologists as a registered dental assistant or with the Dental Assisting National Board as a certified dental assistant.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
Job training for Dental Specialists consists of 10 weeks of Basic Training, where you'll learn basic Soldiering skills, seven weeks and 3 days of Advanced Individual Training. Training consists of both classroom and field work.