Performs legal work with “first chair” responsibilities related to labor and employment matters involving CTA. Represents CTA in employment litigation, labor arbitrations and administrative matters. Provides advice pertaining to labor and employment issues. Supervises junior attorneys and support staff.
Acts as lead attorney for CTA in handling litigation in Federal and State courts.
- Appears in State and Federal courts for trials, hearings, oral arguments, motions, and negotiations.
- Takes and defends depositions.
- Prepares witnesses, conducts research, and drafts motions, briefs and pleadings.
- Reviews and assists junior attorneys and paralegal assigned to the lawsuit.
Handles own docket of labor arbitrations and agency matters.
- Responsible for own caseload of grievances that are set for arbitration.
- Represents CTA before various state and federal agencies.
- Prepares witnesses for arbitrations and hearings.
- Handles negotiations, drafts briefs and closing arguments.
Provides legal advice and consultation on labor, policy, and employment matters throughout CTA.
- Assists in the interpretation, implementation, and administration of labor contracts, CTA administrative policies pertaining to labor and employment law, and compliance with applicable state and federal laws.
- Coordinates with upper management and CTA staff in the formulation and implementation of labor and employment policies.
- Renders legal opinions as requested.
- Provides legal advice and consultation to CTA staff.
Acts as mentor and oversees activities of junior attorneys, paralegals, and other legal support staff.
- Supervises “second chair” attorneys on large litigation, arbitrations, and other agency matters. Chief Attorneys fill the leadership role in these assignments, serving as lead counsel for CTA.
- Provides mentoring and other skill-development services for more junior attorneys and staff.
- Manages work of paralegals and other support staff assigned to his/her projects.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Reporting to this position are the following jobs:
- Associate Attorneys
- Senior Attorneys
- Legal Assistant/Secretary
- Keeping apprised of constantly changing employment and labor laws, as well as relevant court decisions.
- Managing multiple tasks simultaneously and handling stressful situations.
- Maintaining good working relationships with client departments to achieve CTA goals and objectives.